1. WHAT IS THE BIBLE AND THE Sacraments?
Part of the St. Paul Center’s Journey Through Scripture program, The Bible and the Sacraments is a dynamic, beautifully shot, digital Bible study comprised of 11 different lessons, each roughly 25 minutes in length.
Based upon the work of theologian Dr. Scott Hahn, this study is presented by speaker and author Matthew Leonard. It teaches Catholics how the sacraments are firmly rooted in Scripture and answers common objections from non-Catholics.
The Bible and the Sacraments is based upon Dr. Hahn’s book Swear to God, which is included in the Leader Kit and also available for purchase by participants. There are suggested readings from Swear to God, Speaking the Love of God, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, and the Bible at the end of each lesson.
2. WHAT IS THE JOURNEY THROUGH SCRIPTURE SERIES?
Journey Through Scripture is the St. Paul Center’s dynamic parish-based Bible study program designed to help ordinary Catholics grow in their knowledge of the Scriptures while deepening their understanding of the riches of our faith.
The Bible and the Sacraments is the second study from the Journey Through Scripture series to be made available on DVD (after The Bible and the Virgin Mary). The other four studies are presented live in local churches by people trained through the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology—people just like you. These studies, which are not yet available on DVD, include: Genesis to Jesus, The Bible and the Mass, The Bible and the Church Fathers, and The Bible and Prayer.
3. WHAT ARE THE EPISODES CALLED? HOW LONG ARE THEY?
1. Introduction to the Mysteries(~30 min)
2. The Ritual of Family (~30 min)
3. The Waters of Salvation (~30 min)
4. On a Mission from God (~30 min)
5. The Sacrificial Offering (~30 min)
6. Lamb of God (~30 min)
7. Heaven on Earth (~30 min)
8. Reconciled to God (~30 min)
9. Spiritual Healing (~30 min)
10. Brides and Bridegrooms (~30 min)
11. Ordained to Serve (~30 min)
4. HOW LONG IS EACH SESSION DESIGNED TO LAST?
Each session is designed to last 60 to 90 minutes. including the video, discussion and prayer.
5. WHAT IS IN EACH PARTICIPANT WORKBOOK?
- Review and Discussion Questions to enhance participant’s mastery of the information
- A review of the previous lesson
- Key themes and Scripture passages for each lesson
- A Memory Scripture Verse for each lesson
- Common prayers
6. WHAT IS IN EACH LEADER GUIDE?
The Leader Guide contains all the material found in the Participant Workbook and more, including:
- Answers to all the Review Questions at the end of each study
- Leader Notes designed to guide the leader effortlessly through every aspect of the study, from managing small groups to moderating discussion questions
- Leader Says sections that cover everything a leader would need to say throughout the study, from the welcome to the closing prayer
7. CAN I SEE A SAMPLE OF THE VIDEOS OR THE STUDY GUIDE AND LEADER’S GUIDE?
These will be available soon.
8. DO THE DVDS INCLUDE CLOSED CAPTIONING?
All The Bible and the Sacraments DVDs include English and Spanish closed captioning. It is not dubbed in Spanish.
9. IS THIS PROGRAM AVAILABLE IN SPANISH?
The Bible and the Sacraments DVD set is available with Spanish subtitles. The Spanish Participant Workbook is available electronically here. The Leader Guide will be made available soon.
10. ARE THESE DVDS OPTIMIZED FOR INTERNATIONAL USE?
The DVDs are only available in NTSC, which means they only play in countries that recognize that format (i.e. the United State, Canada, the Philippines, etc.). If you reside in a country that uses the PAL format (you can find a list of those countries here), stay tuned for streaming opportunities from the St. Paul Center.
11. WHO IS THE INTENDED AUDIENCE OF THE PROGRAM?
Anyone who wants to grow deeper in their faith. This Bible study will help participants understand what the Catholic Church teaches about the Sacraments and how these beliefs are deeply rooted in Sacred Scripture and an integral part of the Gospel message.
12. DOES IT HAVE AN IMPRIMATUR?
The Leader’s Guide, the Participant Workbook and Swear to God all bear the Imprimatur, which is only available for written materials.
13. DO I HAVE TO DO THE BIBLE AND THE Sacraments WITH GROUP? OR WILL I BENEFIT FROM DOING IT ALONE?
It is recommended to watch The Bible and the Sacraments with a group, but it is not required. Individuals will also benefit from completing the study on their own.